Day 8: All the Cool Rocks

By Lucas Knowlton

We woke up from a very rainy previous night. Much to our surprise, we looked out and saw nothing but sun and clear skies. This was all the motivation it took for us boys to get up and actually get out of the tent for breakfast. Once again we had half a pound of protein granola, as the rest made pancakes and freeze-dried scrambled eggs.

Since we were still a little water-logged from the night before, everyone laid their gear on a large rock to dry in the sun. Within half an hour everything was dry and we were ready to begin our daily paddle.

We were at a campsite we called “scenic,” which would’ve been very luxurious if it hadn’t rained.

Either way it was a perfect day and we were ready to make the best of it. Our chosen goal on the map was marked Namay Falls — a campsite roughly 15 miles away. Everyone packed up their gear and loaded canoes and we were off!

It was a laid back paddle. Three class 1 rapids and a few swifts followed by a short group portage were the extent of the day. We stopped on a panoramic rock and had a nice, short lunch. Everyone was eager to get back on the water and get to camp.

We came across about a 13-foot tall rock that resembled a shark’s tooth, which Emily Nagel attempted to climb. She was about two-thirds the way up before she realized she had to climb back down because of shallow waters. Being the experienced climber she is, she made quick work of it.

Soon after, we were once again floating down the Bloodvein. Before we knew it, our 15 miles were behind us and camp appeared on a magnificent rock. This was yet another perfect campsite we were lucky enough to inhabit.

After a quick exploration we found a large teepee towering over wonderful homemade benches and a rock fire ring. Tents went up quickly as everyone was eager to relax at this beautiful spot.

Chet, Joe and I went down by the river to fish. Like the past few days, our attempts failed but we were more than satisfied with the relaxation we experienced instead.